Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 05:25:55 -0500 (EST)

> > While trying to trace down those tracing msgs I mentioned a bit earlier,
> > I found the following.  There appears to be quite a few instances of
> > english being ouput directly to stderr rather than making use of
> [...]
> > A lot of the CTRACE calls are still feeding english to the output
> [...]
> > Finally, for those who have worked so hard on alternate language modules
> > for lynx I have a question - are you also translating the help file, html
> > files, and man pages?  Having those be available for download right along
>
> My opinion is that there is entirely too much CTRACE code in place.
> It should all be able to be turned off with a compile time switch.

my preference is to replace the existing CTRACE syntax with a macro that
can be easily ifdef'd.  I left FM's structure intact because most of the
effort in converting to the current form was validating the transformation -
now that they're all identified, changing the definition would be more
reliable.  for example:

        #ifdef CTRACE_CODE
        #define CTRACE p LYCtrace p;
        #else
        #define CTRACE /*nothing*/
        #endif

so we could replace
        CTRACE(tfp, "something\n");
with
        CTRACE(("something\n"))

--- but that's a distraction from what I'm trying to work on, and really
    should be done early in the cycle (otherwise it delays other things).

> PLEASE do not put all that debugging code in a gettext call.

fine with me (I don't think it's worth making the debugging code i18n).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden