Re: lynx-dev Re: Nitsy "reset" display buglet

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Nitsy "reset" display buglet
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 99 11:38:35 EST

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:07:17 -0600 (CST),
Klaus Weide   <address@hidden> wrote:

>On Fri, 5 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>
>> Haven't looked into your other suggestions yet ... perhaps whomever
>> broke it will step forward with a fix first ... :-) ...!
>
>Well I traced this a bit (for the Form Options SELECT case), and it
>it the result of a change to the key mapping code (which I prefer not
>to get into...)
>
>LYStrings.h has changed from
>
>   #define DO_NOTHING      270     /* 0x10E */

>   #define MOUSE_KEY       270     /* 0x10E */
>   #define DO_NOTHING      271     /* 0x10F */
>
>but the tables in LYKeymap.c were not kept in synch with this change,
>as a result of this the
>
>           cmd = keymap[c+1];
>
>in mainloop() now maps DO_NOTHING to 0 instead of LYK_DO_NOTHING,
>which in turn leads to first writing the (wrong) statusline, then
>comes the refresh because of refresh_screen which erases the screen,
>and then a new statusline is not written because we already did it...
>all in a quite non-obvious manner which may be worth cleaning up in
>mainloop(), but I suppose fixing the key mapping will restore the
>previous behavior.
>
>   Klaus

I hope that in a released version, DO_NOTHING will work predictably.
Because of Win95's abominable keyboard handling in console-mode
applications, called Conagent, it is necessary to undefine a number of
Lynx keystrokes so that they are not acted upon when a screen reader
hotkey is pressed to perform a screen reading function.  I wish the
key map numbers went high enough so that all cases, including the
numeric-pad cursor keys, grey cursor keys, Alt-letter combinations,
num-locked cursor keys, could be handled in the keymap in Lynx.cfg.  I
think that 270 and 271 are not high enough, but I don't know the
required maximum value.  I'm sure I'm not explaining this clearly
enough, but if anyone is working on the Lynx/32 port in console mode,
I'd be happy to talk with them some more,  try and clarify issues,
and arrange for further testing.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/