Re: lynx-dev lynx and SGML

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx and SGML
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 13:05:21 +0000 (GMT)

> as follows: sgml files are parsed with Clarke's sgmls parser and converted
> to html. The newly created html files are then displayed in the

That's not generally possible, except in the special case where the input
document in in HTML.  I think you are confusing some particular use of
SGML (other than HTML, which is one particular use) - maybe the Linux
documentation DTD - with SGML in general.  DTDs only contain semantics in
comments, so cannot be translated into a display representation without
additional machine processable information.

I've tried to answer on the basis of a strict definition of SGML.  If
you've used SGML loosely to refer to one non-HTML application, your
question was flawed.

How, for example, would your method transform an SGML or XML music
score into HTML?