lynx-dev Lynx suggestion

From: The Vrana Family
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 08:16:10 -0500

I'm an avid Lynx user, using 2.7 on my ISP all the time, as well as the PC
version of 2.8.  Thanks so much for a great program.

I have a suggestion for a feature that would really help me out.  I enter
some contests which require you to enter from an image map on a particular
page.  Lynx can only generate a 0,0 coordinate when you "click" on an image
map.  How about enabling a keyboard command that would let you enter any
coordinate the user wanted.  For example, you'd type C (I know that command
is already taken) and lynx would then ask what coordinate to send (rather
than the default).  Ideally, it would tell you what the image size of the
map is, so that you know the largest allowed coordinates.  A typical
example is the contest at www.treeloot.com/game/moneytree.html.

If this is not possible for some technical reason, how about the following
alternative.  Some maps when you click on them, expand into a menu (not the
one at treeloot, though).  You can then move to the link you want and press
enter.  However, if the site requires the "click" to come from the prior
page, it won't accept it properly.  It thinks (rightly so) that you're
coming from an invalid page - the temporary page with the image map.  I
suspect it's looking for the document.referrer to be the correct page.
Could lynx be modified to give the site the document.referrer of the
original page, rather than the locally rendered map?  A typical example is
at www.successmarketplace.com/shops/benchmark, when you click on the Free
Vacation banner.  (This one will work, but if you then enter another one at
www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc, it's supposed to also work because
it's a different site, but it isn't accepted, since it thinks you came from
the same page again - and you did come from the same page, the locally
rendered map.  This is not a cache issue - same thing happens if you quit
lynx and start over.)

Please let me know via e-mail (as I'm just a user and not on the
development list) if any of this doesn't make sense and you need more info.
 Thanks so much for considering this request.