lynx-dev map limitations (was meaningless)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev map limitations (was meaningless)
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 23:05:29 -0500 (EST)

990207 one of the Vrana's wrote:
> I'm an avid Lynx user, using 2.7 on my ISP all the time,
> as well as the PC version of 2.8.  Thanks so much for a great program.

Lynx volunteers always like to get encouragement.
the latest Lynx is 2-8-1 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ,
which has many improvements over your earlier versions;
if you have shell access with your ISP, you can compile your own easily;
there are DOS/Windows binaries (pre-compiled) via
 www.fdisk.com/doslynx/lynxport.htm .

> I have a suggestion for a feature that would really help me out.

generally, the rule is `If you have a suggestion,
be prepared to do the programming yourself & send in a patch'.

> I enter contests which require you to enter from an image map on a page.
> Lynx can only generate a 0,0 coordinate when you "click" on an image map.
> How about enabling a keyboard command to enter any coordinate you wanted?
> you'd type C & Lynx would then ask what coordinate to send.
> Ideally, it would tell you what the image size of the map is,
> so you know the largest allowed coordinates.
> An example is the contest at  www.treeloot.com/game/moneytree.html .
> Some maps when you click on them, expand into a menu
> (not the one at treeloot, though).

when i goto Treeloot using 2-8-1rel.1 , i get as 5th link `clickable image',
which calls up a menu: your failure may be due to the older 2-7 & 2-8
& remember to check  lynx.cfg , where there may be something to set;
the 4th link is a  .cgi , which seems to fail due to Javascript,
which Lynx can't handle.

image maps have been discussed in the past: have a look in the Archive
at  www.flora.org/lynx-dev , probably some time in 1997 IIRC.

> if the site requires the "click" to come from the prior page,
> it won't accept it properly.  It thinks you're coming from an invalid page
> the temporary page with the image map.  I suspect it's looking
> for the  document.referrer  to be the correct page.
> Could lynx be modified to give the site the  document.referrer
> of the original page, rather than the locally rendered map?
> A typical example is  www.successmarketplace.com/shops/benchmark ,
> when you click on the Free Vacation banner.  This one will work,
> but if you then enter  www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc ,
> it's supposed to work because it's a different site,
> but it isn't accepted, since it thinks you came from the same page again
> and you did come from the same page, the locally rendered map.

i have no problem with either site: i get the same 3-line menu;
again, try the latest 2-8-1.

> Please let me know via e-mail,
> as I'm just a user and not on the development list,

arghh (smile)!  lynx-dev has many subscribers,
ranging from very competent C programmers & systems experts
to interested users & people who want to learn more about the area:
you may want to subscribe briefly: send the message  subscribe lynx-dev
to  address@hidden ; to stop the flood, send  unsubscribe lynx-dev .