Re: lynx-dev next/prev link

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev next/prev link
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:19:04 -0800

Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>
> > If someone were to spend some time trying to figure out enough about lynx
> > internals to fix the way next/prev link works so that they actually
> > move from link to link instead of from page to page, would applying that
> > code break any important processing anyone is depending upon?
>
> I don't consider the current behavior broken.  It is how PREV_LINK and
> NEXT_LINK always worked in lynx, as long as I know.  I don't want Down
> Arrow suddenly to start skipping pages - I am used to being able to
> use Down Arrow repeatedly and eventually see all the text.
>
> Whether the functions should be named differently is another question.
>
> You may want a new function with the behavior you prefer.  If such a
> modified ALWAYS_NEXT_LINK existed I would probably map it to <tab>
> and leave Down Arrow alone.

Would this skip form fields (which are not, technically, "links")?

What would be most useful to me in this context would be a "go to next
whole form field or link" command.  "whole" means that multi-line
structures (like textareas) should only be visited once.  If the
document had a structure like:

  [page 1]
  (*1) link 1
  (*2) form field 1
  (*3) form field 2
  (*4) form field 3, a multiline textarea
       form field 3, 2nd line
       form field 3, 3rd line
       form field 3, 4th line
  (*5) form field 4
  (*6) link 2
  [page 2]
  [page 3]
  (*7) link 3

-- then hitting this command 6 times would take the cursor sequentially
through each of the (*)'s.  <TAB> would be a very good default binding
for this command...