lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.16

From: dickey
Subject: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.16
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 05:52:18 -0500 (EST)

As Bela suggests, we should expect problems with h_errno (I don't know enough
yet to write a good configure test for it).  But I've built this on Linux,
OS/2 EMX, FreeBSD and Solaris.

1999-02-08 (2.8.2dev.16)
* minor documentation tweaks for EDITTEXTAREA - LP
* correct uninitalized buffer variable in send_file_to_mail() which caused
  core dump (reported by LV) - LW
* Recognize Subject and Message-Id in embedded comments in HTML documents, in
  the form generated by MHonArc for mailing list archives (including lynx-dev).
  Use these to generate a default Subject and an In-Reply-To header (currently
  not for VMS) when replying by mail (sending a 'C'omment, or following a
  mailto link) from such a page.  The old methods to get a title other than the
  fallback (the URL) still are there and have precedence, by in reality seem to
  apply very rarely.  If no suitable comment strings are found or they are
  regarded as invalid (bad characters, not exactly right format) they are not
  used, and the fallback (URL as Subject, no In-Reply-To) applies - KW
* Use the Message-Id of a news article to generate a References header when
  posting a reply.  Lynx's new article listing doesn't understand threading,
  but this is nicer for other newsreader that do.  The References header of the
  referenced article is not used, so there will be only one message-id in the
  generated References header, but this is better than nothing.  The article's
  message-id is appended as a parameter to the URL of the generated newsreply
  link, in the form ";ref=...", so this extends the syntax of Lynx's newsreply:
  URL scheme.  Nothing should have changed for snews:  and other s-versions of
  the various URL schemes for news access - KW
* Message-Id and Subject of a news article are also made available for replying
  by mail - KW
* LYNews.c: Don't post a message that is empty or has only '>'-quoted text - KW
* HTNews.c:  got rid of some suspicious fixed length buffers.  Fixed minor
  memory leaks.  Added abort of the target stream which was missing in some
  cases.  Create mailto:  hrefs in URL-escaped form if necessary, they will be
  unescaped in LYMail.c.  (News URLs still don't use escaping the right way,
  especially for message-ids.) Recognize special meaning of "Followup-to:
  poster" (don't treat "poster" as a newsgroup name).  Other small tweaks - KW
* add samples/cernrules.txt - KW
* Except for DJGPP, move lookup code for domain names (not dotted-quad IP
  addresses) from HTParseInet into a new function:  LYGetHostByName acts like
  the normal gethostbyname, but includes the NSL_FORK logic.  Interruption is
  indicated in global variable lynx_nsl_status - KW
* Use LYGetHostByName instead of HTParseInet for URL guessing - KW
* Select on tty file descriptor in NSL_FORK loop also if compiled with slang.
  This should make 'z' during lookup more responsive - KW
* Don't compile in the rules implementation code if NO_RULES is defined
  (suggested by BL) - KW
* fix special case of EDITTEXTAREA where the returned file is empty - BJP
* write to .lynxrc values for COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS and COOKIE_REJECT_DOMAINS
  if they are set on the options screen - BJP
* add lynx.cfg and .lynxrc support for a few new options:
    COOKIE_STRICT_INVALID_DOMAINS,
    COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS,
    COOKIE_QUERY_INVALID_DOMAINS
  They're the same sort as COOKIE_ACCEPT_DOMAINS, comma-delimited lists - BJP
* modify LYOpenTemp() to report unusual errors, i.e., other than if the
  temporary file could not be created because it already exists - BJP
* more fixes to CF_INET_ADDR - TD
* modify README to indicate where win32 binaries are found - JS
* add chrtrans tables for Ukranian Cyrillic (patch by Serhii Hlodin
  <address@hidden<)
* patch for TEXTAREA edit feature - KED
  1. Handles the renumbering of link number tags [nnn], when the tag itself is
     split across two lines (see below).
  2. Scrolling down, going to the bottom of the document, etc, now work
     properly, when the TEXTAREA is expanded beyond the bottom of the
     (original) screen display.
  3. Hitting the reset button is now handled properly WRT the "old" text in
     expansion lines (now *always* empty).
  4. Attempting to edit (^Ve) a TEXT field (not a TEXTAREA), is now blocked,
     with the user getting an error msg.
  5. The function call now returns the number of lines that the cursor should
     be moved from its current position, to end up on the first blank line of
     any trailing empty lines in the TEXTAREA (there will always be one).
* bug fixes for TEXTAREA edit feature - KED
  1. Thanks to a suggestion by Bela, your regular EDIT keybinding ("e" by
     default), will now bring up the editor within a TEXTAREA, so there's no
     need to "waste" a separate keybinding (though you can still additionally
     bind the function separately, if desired).
  2.  Converts any tab chars in the edited file, to spaces in the TEXTAREA
     anchor line.  The tabstop is currently #define'd to the quasi-standard
     value of 8.  (If anyone thinks that needs to be user configurable, feel
     free to add that to the o(ptions) form/menu,
     cmd-line-arg/lynx.cfg/.lynxrc/userdefs.h, whatever ...
     I recommend against doing so though, as tabstops that are not set at 8,
     are a PITA to deal with, generally speaking.  I dunno if tab chars in a
     TEXTAREA form are prohibited "by spec", or if it is just a "lynxism" that
     they cause rendering problems (as well as downstream problems with
     submit/etc, I think), but I felt I needed to do something to make lynx
     behave rationally if they are present in the edited data (quite possibly
     from an arbitrary file that one pulled into the editor).  Filtering them
     to spaces, seemed the most reasonable thing to do.
  3. Replaces any embedded control chars with something printable (I chose a
     "." char, since it is less "intrusive" than some other choices, like "*",
     "+", "#", etc).  As with tabs, when some of these chars *are* rendered
     into the TEXTAREA, strange things may happen.  This shouldn't be much of a
     limitation, since many of these chars perform line-editing or
     system/job-control functions, when entered directly while one is in the
     TEXTAREA.  They currently cannot be "escaped" and entered as actual text
     chars, so far as I can tell.  Anyway ...  I don't know of any "legitimate"
     reason for them to be used as TEXTAREA data, so for now, you get "dots" in
     their place.
  4. Cleans up a few comments, and such.
* update some linked in lynx_help_main.html (Heikki Kantola <address@hidden>)
* add checks for null return from malloc to HTInit.c, LYMain.c, LYReadCFG.c,
  LYUtils.c (patch by John Bley)
* add telnet, tn3270 and rlogin program paths to configure script
  (patch by address@hidden).