Re: lynx-dev partial message (was Re: Changing the keymap code (PATCH))

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev partial message (was Re: Changing the keymap code (PATCH))
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:05:19 +0900 (JST)

> this in .lynx-keymaps:
>
>   setkey "\200s" 0x211        # C-left
>
> and this in LYNX_CFG file:
>
>   KEYMAP:0x211:LEFT_LINK
>
> This actually allows me to use Control-Left in lynx to act as
> LEFT_LINK.  As I explained in my other message, this is a multi-step
> process:
>
>        a) my "keyboard" (=TTY emulator) emits "\0s" when I press C-left.
>
>        b) NCURSES do not know about this combination (how would I
>           code this in terminfo terms?), so they translate this to "\200s".

The Fujitsu FMR70 has an unusual 9-key keypad.  The bottom six keys,
although named strangely, are by luck very similar in position to a
"normal" Japanese-106PS keyboard arrangement:
        [Ins (^[[1~)]  [Home(^[[2~)]  [PgUp(^[[3~)]
        [Del (^[[4~)]  [End (^[[5~)]  [PgDn(^[[6~)]
EXCEPT for the bottom-left position (Del).  This is instead the key for
switching between 7 and 8-bit kana, and emits via telnet a ^X.  The key
cannot be remapped by the telnet vt100 terminal emulator.  There are two
ways to "force" the modern keypad's physical layout on the old machine
with regard to cursor positioning in Lynx.

One way is to define the Del key to ^X in the terminfo description, i.e.,
change "kdch1=\E[4~,", to "kdch1=^X,".

The other way is to change the mapping in lynx.cfg, namely:
KEYMAP:^X:DOWN_TWO     # ??/???? (Del) (^X)    - Move display down two lines

This is not a two(or multi)-step process; they are independent of each other.
Is the problem that the curses on DOS don't have a terminfo/termcap database
since you don't use a terminal emulator and everything is _machine_ (bios)
dependent? I'm missing something somewhere, but sure would like to understand.

__Henry

PS  Tom, I tried the teraterm description that you're shipping out, but it
is rather buggy for me.  Specifically, when I insert (i in vi) characters,
the line does not move to the right as I insert, but rather the input over-
writes what is there until moving out of insert mode (esc in vi) when every-
thing appears.  Secondly, when loading a file into vi, or listing unread
mail by the stnadard ucb xmail, the top 2/3 (15 lines) is either blank or
what was previously on the screen, and the top of the file appears on about
line 16 rather than line 1.  Finally, the color-sticking problem is there,
and when I modify (regardless of correctly so or not) "colors#8, pairs#64,"
to "colors#16, pairs#256," in klone+color, which teraterm uses, the problem
is solved.  I'd say on Solaris2.6, anyway, the description could use a bit
of tweaking.