lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.16

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: lynx2.8.2dev.16
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:43:16 -0800

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999, Jacob Poon (address@hidden) said:

| >   3. Replaces any embedded control chars with something printable
|
| This may cause trouble with multibyte encoded characters.  UCS-2, UCS-4,
| and UTF-16 are affected by it.  But since Lynx does not support these
| encodings (yet), these problem are not pervalent.  Nevertheless, the
| documentation should issue a warning to people who want to add support for
| the encodings in question, or when using external editors that depends on
| unsupported encodings.

From what I've seen of lynx's internals, supporting such multibyte char
encodings would require huge changes in (most) all parts of the code.

However, I'll add a comment about it in the cited code to that effect,
in a cleanup patch that I'm working on.

I dunno the best place to document that "limitation" overall though ..
.. perhaps in the README and/or ABOUT-NLS file(s).  Or maybe there
should be some kind of INTERNALS file, for documenting such things
(which would also include things about var/fn() naming conventions,
macro usage (eg, FREE() vs. free()), "style, coding conventions, and
the like).

/kim