Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 02:30:17 -0500

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 03:49:49PM -0800, David Combs wrote:
...[snip]...
>      * [1]next
>      * [2]next
>      * [3]mailto:address@hidden
>      * [4]next
>      * [5]in next - ss1.1
>      * [6]in next - ss1.2
>      * [7]in next - ss1.3
>      * [8]in next - ss1.4
>      * [9]in next - ss1.5
>      * [10]in next - ss1.6
>      * [11]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html
>      * [12]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html#ss2.1
>      * [13]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html#ss2.2
>      * [14]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html#ss2.3
>      * [15]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html#ss2.4
>      * [16]http://www.mutt.org/manual-2.html#ss2.5
>      * [17]http://www.mutt.org/manual-3.html
>      * [18]http://www.mutt.org/manual-3.html#ss3.1
>      * [19]http://www.mutt.org/manual-3.html#ss3.2
>      * [20]http://www.mutt.org/manual-3.html#ss3.3
...[snip]...
> This shows what I've been talking about.  The ONLY
> way for me to know what links to go to and then P(rint),
> to make my own manual and print it out on my laser printer, is
> via this page.  Why?
>
> Because it is the ONLY one that clearly lets me see
> how the many many links end up going to only a FEW files --
> those with unique names BEFORE the "#..." stuff.
>
> If I were to go LOOK at one or two of these things FIRST,
> to see if I WANTED to download them, (linking say from the
> MAIN page), THEN when I generated the L-page, this info
> , this USEFUL address-info, would be GONE, replaced by
> some title that I really didn't care about -- probably some
> subject title, when what I WANTED for choosing what to download

I noticed several things with this page.  First of all, if I follow the
links from the L-page, the URLs aren't replaced when I come back to the
L-page, providing I don't go back to the page this L-page was derived from.
Once I do that, invoking the L-page again shows me the titles instead.

However, all is not lost.  When a title replaces a URL with an anchor
(the part after the #), the title is preceded by the word "in" and followed
by a space, hyphen, space, anchor.  You've lost the address (or at least it
isn't as readily available - you can still get it if you need it), but
you haven't really lost the information you think you've lost.  All those
leading ins and trailing anchors tell you which links refer to the same
document.

Also, the word "next" in the first few links is replaced by the title of
the document if you follow any of those links, and then the next document
with multiple anchors becomes "next" until you view that one, and so on.

Is there something I'm missing, or is there another reason you want to
see the actual URLs?

Chuck