Re: lynx-dev Keys, an attempt to understand

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keys, an attempt to understand
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:38:03 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> > Wayne initally had some of the DOS keys hardcoded analogous to the
> > curses representations in his DOSKEYHACK code, but users couldn't
> > remap any of these keys.
>
> Is that something that is still in the current code?
> Using my classification, was that a hardcoded mapping directly to
> lynxactioncode (3.)?

This was taken out of the code shortly after the keymap[] was expanded.
This was a mappping to keys which had the default action desired. If I
remember correctly, ALT-X was mapped to CTL-D, etc. This was done in
LYStrings.c as a switch statement before the character was returned.

> Just to make sure I understand, with remapping you mean lynx.cfg,
> not some other mechanism, right?

Yes. I meant the users ability to use the KEYMAP facility in lynx.cfg.

> > I don't understand when you say that extending the lynxkeycode space
> > broke properties. Can you try to explain what broke and how? Thanks.
>
> Before I try to reply in more detail, a question - does the 'K'ey Map
> page work right in the DOS versions, or are some of the keys with
> codes in the 0x100 - 0x10E area shown wrong?  (I mean with code without
> with no problem caused by MOUSE_KEY or its removal).  And are some
> key combinations accidentally mapped to actions without that being
> intended?  For example Control_At is 0x103 according to docs/djgpp.key,
> does that invoke some action when it shouldn't?   I would expect such
> things to happen, but maybe I haven't looked nearly enough to understand
> the details.

I am not at my DOS machine to check this now, but I suspect you are
correct. I don't know that anyone has tried this, since these are
unusual key combinations. There appear to be two keycodes that could
give surprising results: Control_At and Alt_Escape. These probably need
to be mapped to DO_NOTHING in LYStrings.c in the DJGPP_KEYHANDLER
switch statement at about line 1472 of the code (and also removed
from the djgpp.key file). Because the arrow keys and page[up/down]
keys have special handling in the lynx code, these values couldn't
be changed successfully (hence the need for the switch statement). I
don't see any other codes that would be a problem, but I certainly
could have missed some.

When I get home, I'll try to check the details of the 'K'ey Map page
and get back to you. Let me know if you need to see the old DOSKEYHACK
code. I think I have a number of the old lynx source distributions
archived on floppies, so I should be able to find it.
                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)