Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 21:51:18 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:48:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden>
> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>
> > What reason/requirement do you have for including control (not ALT) chars
> > in TEXTAREA strings ...?
>
> Excepto for CR, LF and TAB I have no reason for using control characters.
> What are ALT chars?

I just tried typing alt characters in a text entry field on a website.
(I.e., nold down alt, type digits, such as 135, on numeric keypad,
then release alt).
This would be nice for allowing accented characters like e-grave.

I haven't done a careful analysis of how lynx should/does behave in this case,
but it looks like alt135 is ignored but alt231 inserts a Greek letter Tau.
My assumed charset is iso-8859-1 and my display charset is cp437 and
my raw mode is off.
Should lynx be translating input in text entry fields from
Assumed Charset to Display Charset?  From the above, I think it's
behaving as if Raw mode is ON.
I'll think on it a little more.
I think the chartrans stuff needs some scrutinizing.
--le