Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: 8-bit characters in EDITTEXTAREA
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:22:25 +0300 (MSK)

11-Feb-99 00:14 Laura Eaves wrote:
> I have now upgraded to 282dev16 and I get the same behavior.

> The question still remains as to how charsets should be
> handled wrt text entry fields.  The most intuitive approach (n my mind)
> would be to accept input in assumed charset (which would also be the value
> submitted in the form) but translated to display charset for output to
> the screen, unless raw mode is ON.
> What is your view?

The internal Lynx charset (e.g. HText data) is "display charset",
it is supposed that your font, keyboard (e.g. for search "/"),
and external editor all worked well for this charset.
So the form's entry fields are in display charset.
When submitting forms, lynx translate input fields back from display charset
to the document charset (or assumed... if it was not set explicitely)
so the remote server will not receive unexpected encodings.
I am using lynx for search engins with cyrillic input text - it works OK.
(According to HTML 4.0, there is a possibility to set submitting charset
inside <form charset=...> syntax, I hope lynx do this either,
though I have not tested the details).

10-Feb-99 21:51 Laura Eaves wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:48:31 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden>
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
>>
>> > What reason/requirement do you have for including control (not ALT) chars
>> > in TEXTAREA strings ...?
>>
>> Excepto for CR, LF and TAB I have no reason for using control characters.
>> What are ALT chars?

> I just tried typing alt characters in a text entry field on a website.
> (I.e., nold down alt, type digits, such as 135, on numeric keypad,
> then release alt).
> This would be nice for allowing accented characters like e-grave.

> I haven't done a careful analysis of how lynx should/does behave in this case,
> but it looks like alt135 is ignored but alt231 inserts a Greek letter Tau.
> My assumed charset is iso-8859-1 and my display charset is cp437 and
> my raw mode is off.

You see the ignorance of alt135 when you enter keys or you got such result
back from the remote server' replay?

> Should lynx be translating input in text entry fields from
> Assumed Charset to Display Charset?  From the above, I think it's
> behaving as if Raw mode is ON.

see above.