Re: lynx-dev LYNX: p(rint) GRABS A FILE to show ITS OWN page!

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: p(rint) GRABS A FILE to show ITS OWN page!
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:49:17 -0800

David Combs wrote:

> Right, it's a neat idea to code everything in html, even
> the p(rint) page itself (assumint that is how it works).
>
> Usually one doesn't even notice the delay, or even the
> little display saying "getting /tmp/..." or whatever it says
> (goes away quick, ... usually!).
>
> However, like on netcom, where they are screwing us by
> it gets slow sometimes.  REAL slow.
>
> So for something as simple as the p(rint) page (and likely
> other ones too), wouldn't it be easy to either
> .  code the thing directly, via one big string, and just
>       display it.
> .  or, since I believe there are runtime options for what
>       it shows, build the file ONCE, then when read in the
>       FIRST time, SAVE it into a string, redoing this
>       operation only when something about the display of the
>       p(rint) page CHANGES.

That's how it works.  Live with it.

If it was "hard coded" as you say, then that code would have to deal
with all sorts of aspects of display size, character sets, colors, user
interaction, etc., which are handled very nicely by Lynx's own HTML
handling.

If netcom has turned into a bad ISP, find a better one.  They're showing
you the door.  Take the hint, they don't want your money.