lynx-dev Proxy Help

From: Trevor Astrope
Subject: lynx-dev Proxy Help
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:38:17 -0500 (EST)

Hi, my adsl provider uses a proxy on port 80 and it doesn't seem to like
lynx. My version is 2.8 Intel with ssl support on Red Hat Linux 5.1 with
kernel 2.0.36.

I set the http_proxy shell variable to the proxy server
http://fastweb.sympatico.ca/pac/hse but I get 400 bad request errors when
I try to access any site on the net. The IE 4.0 and netscape communicator
browsers seem to work fine, however. They were only configured with the
proxy url and no authentication settings.

Here is what I get when I telnet to port 80 of fastweb.sympatico.ca and do
a head (a get shows a bunch of script... if var, return type stuff). I
tried spoofing the user-agent to be Mozilla, but this has no effect
either.

address@hidden astrope]$ telnet fastweb.sympatico.ca 80
Trying 206.47.244.30...
Connected to fastweb.sympatico.ca.