Re: lynx-dev Keys, - a correction

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keys, - a correction
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 18:36:55 -0600 (CST)

Something new from the arcane internals department.

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> I regard the following as near-essential:
>
> (4) There is a special value indicating "an unrecognized key was pressed".
>     In the Lynx code that value is 0.

Actually, that is not true.  There is not one special _lynxkeycode_ for
"unrecognized key".  Instead, there is a special _lynxactioncode_ value
for "unrecognized key", and that value is 0.  All lynxkeycode mapped
to 0 in the 2. -> 3. mapping are effectively "unrecognized keys".

Incidentally that also includes the lynxkeycode 0.  But in and of itself
lynxkeycode 0 means "the key 0x00", that is a one-byte key that sends
the null byte (Ctrl-@).

The lynx.cfg comments are wrong in this respect:

#  (0x00) NULL KEY: 0x10E (DO_NOTHING)

Yes, 0x10E is aka DO_NOTHING and as mapped to LYK_DO_NOTHING.
But no, 0x00 is a different key and is actually not mapped to
LYK_NOTHING, nor does it have anything to do with 0x10E, except
that it maybe _should_ be mapped to LYK_DO_NOTHING by default.
The following line also does not represent the default:

#KEYMAP:0x00:DO_NOTHING # Does nothing (ignore this key)

The following is still true,

> (5) There is a special value DO_NOTHING indicating "no key was pressed,
>     after all".  Of course no such "No key" key exists, but a function
>     sometimes wants to tell another "pretend no key was pressed".  This
>     value should be distinct from that for unrecognized key.

except for the formulation of the last sentence.

Observations based on lynx versions not suffering from MOUSE_KEY or
DOS key disease, void where prohibited etc.

   Klaus