Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 06:42:13 -0500 (EST)

>> How should lynx edit bindings respond to different display charsets?
>> Should commands for actions such as erase, enter, etc, have the same key
>> bindings for all charsets (like it is now)?  What about chars >= 128?
>
>Extremely bad idea to have default mapping for any actions from 128..256 range,
>we will fall into all kind of incompatibility between ~40 lynx recognized
>charsets.  Aside from "actions" mapping, text input should be 8bit clean
>for all valid characters as it is believed implemented now.

Here's the problem as I see it.  Many people have mentally segmented
the handling of input and the handling of output.  However, that is not
always possible.

What LE appears to me to be describing is this - some of the "modes of
operation" on her desktop cause certain keystrokes to certain characters
being displayed.

Within Lynx, this is not occuring because the current lynx model has a
fixed relationship between keyboard input an a particular set of character
assignments.

What LE has been struggling with is how to change lynx so that the selection
of a display character also maps in a table of the keystrokes required to
needed to generate each of that particular display character sets characters.

--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>