lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:57:15 -0800

Is anyone besides myself annoyed at the coupling between link and/or
form field [numbering], and keypad key usage as either numbers or
arrows?

These are two distinctly different things, and I can see no good
reason for one to affect the other.

Currently we have the following o(ptions) for "keypad mode":

  Keypad mode:  Numbers act as arrows
                Links are numbered
                Links and form fields are numbered

It seems to me (aka, I would prefer) having these options decoupled,
so that we would have something like:

     Keypad mode:  Keys act as numbers
                   Keys act as arrows

and

  Link numbering:  Not numbered
                   Links are numbered
                   Links and form fields are numbered

BTW, the reason the coupling annoys me, is that sometimes I run
with numbering turned on, but I still hit the "Home"/"End" keys to
take me to the top/bottom of the document (habit, plus it's much
easier than remerbering/hitting ^A/^E to do the job).

Also, FWIW, "link numbering" is currently always "on" ... you can
enter numbers and goto/activate a link (though not a form field)
regardless of whether one of the "numbered" options is on or not;
a behavior that doesn't necessarily *need* to be changed, but one
that *could* cause confusion to some users.

/kim