Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:31:34 -0500 (EST)

990214 Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> Is anyone besides myself annoyed
> at the coupling between link and/or form field [numbering],
> and keypad key usage as either numbers or arrows?

i find `Links and form fields are numbered' very useful asis,
but i never use the numeric keypad, just the  4  arrow keys & regular numbers.

> These are two distinctly different things,
> and I can see no good reason for one to affect the other.

now you mention it, no.

> I would prefer these options decoupled, so we would have something like:
>
>      Keypad mode:  Keys act as numbers
>                    Keys act as arrows
>
>   Link numbering:  Not numbered
>                    Links are numbered
>                    Links and form fields are numbered
>
> the reason the coupling annoys me is sometimes I run with numbering on,
> but still hit "Home"/"End" keys to take me to top/bottom of the document
> (habit, plus it's much easier than remembering/hitting ^A/^E ).

that really does seem very much a personal quirk.

> FWIW "link numbering" is currently always "on" ...
> you can enter numbers & goto/activate a link (though not a form field)
> regardless whether one of the "numbered" options is on or not;
> a behavior that doesn't necessarily *need* to be changed,
> but one that *could* cause confusion to some users.

there must be more urgent & useful challenges for your proven talents,
even acknowledging that the football season is over ...