Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 19:28:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Jacob Poon wrote:

> > At this point in Lynx's development, I even wonder whether anyone still
> > needs "keypad-as-numbers" mode. As an informal survey: who would
> > currently be bothered if the keypad *always* acted as arrows, except
> > when prefixed with "0" to make them into numbers?
>
> I do. As a 101-key keyboard user, I always turned on numlock and I use the
> keypad keys exclusively for numeric entries (at least for over 99.999% of
> the time). If keypad keys can no longer be treated as numbers by default,
> then I will definitely be annoyed.
>
> Besides, under vt-100 terminals (at least on my terminal program), Numlock
> key is used to toggle keypad keys between 'numeric mode' and 'application
> mode'.

True VT100 terminals don't have a "numlock" key. It's the application that
sets the keypad to numeric or application modes.

> It is not beneficial for Lynx to force all 10 functions onto the keypad.
> If I want keypad to behave like arrows, I just use the Numlock to toggle
> it. There is no need to assign another key as the second Numlock.

Not all keyboards have a "numlock" key".

> Therefore, there should be a third choice in 'Keypad act as' setting
> called 'terminal specific'. This choice should allow 101/104/106-key
> keyboards to toggle the functions of the keypad keys between cursor
> movements (or 'application keys') and numeric entries, without Lynx to
> override terminal settings.
>
> BTW, this will also benefit 84-key keyboard users too, because their
> keyboards will behave more closely to the terminals they choose.

Anda what about 91-key keyboards that are not IBM-PC keyboards? Not
everybody uses IBM-PCs.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |