Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 06:58:26 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Ismael Cordeiro wrote:
> >On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:
> >
> >> I've never used 'e' (EDIT) before, except when I accidentally hit it, and
> >> Lynx says something like "Lynx cannot currently edit remote HTML files."
> >>
> >> But this argument seems strange.  Using the same edit command makes a lot
> >> of sense, rather than having separate commands. It is just being dependant
> >> upon where you are (i.e. the cursor is) when you invoke it. I don't see
> >> how it is confusing. It makes everything more consistent.
> >
> >If type "e" or "E" in a TEXTAREA, they will be understood as text and
> >printed to the screen. An "escape" key is needed. In this case, it's ^V.
>
> Yes, I know.  All I was saying was that using 'edit' is logical and consistent
> (at least in my opinion), not inconsistent like the original author was
> opining.

Since you have never used 'e', you can't really say whether it's confusing
to someone who is used to it.  _You_ are not losing easy access to "the
other edit", so it is no surprise that it looks consistent to you.

By the way, I hope one day Lynx _will_ be able to edit remote files -
that is certainly aimplied by the word "currently" in the message.

   Klaus