Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ^Ve considered harmful
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 10:41:41 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, David H wrote:

> >"f" and "t" map to something in DIRED mode.  I can imagine at least for "t"
> >some similar "tagging" function for general links outside of DIRED, to
> >mark an URL for some action ("Upload to"?).  I don't know about "y", or "w",
> >they seem to be free.
>
> Just thinking out loud here...
> Couldn't the (t)agging effect be handled with checkboxes, thus freeing
> "t" for another function?  Or would that cause too much screen clutter in
> DIRED mode?

Why replace a simple straightforward mechanism that doesn't take
much screen real estate and does exists with something much more
complicated that doesn't exist?

> And actually, doesn't DIRED mode go into effect ONLY when viewing a local
> directory?  So "f" and "t" could be used for something that doesn't make
> sense when viewing a directory, like editing a Textarea.

Well yes they can - it's just one consideration that I wanted to mention,
that there may be a good reason to reserve "t" for consistency's sake.

    Klaus