lynx-dev ^v : time for a different approach?

From: Philip Webb
Subject: lynx-dev ^v : time for a different approach?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:26:38 -0500 (EST)

the long debate about how to handle commands in textareas
& other key-mapping concerns should bring back a proposal
sometimes made in the past, but not mentioned on this occasion.

Screen has many key-bindings, but it also has a device `:'
for entering a command in the form of a word.
this has the benefit of allowing an unlimited number of commands,
while leaving the user free to tie them to keys or not, as s/he wishes.
to avoid problems with garbage in my phone line killing a window,
i've untied  ^a k  from the command `kill',
& now to kill a window enter  ^a : , which writes `:' on the command line,
to which i can then append the explicit command `kill'.

can we not set up the equivalent of `:' in Lynx?
in fact, `:' is not presently used as a Lynx command,
so we could use it asis to prompt for an explicit command;
 ^v :  would be the form in a textarea.
of course, Users Guide etc would have to give the precise command names
which would be recognised by Lynx following `:'.

but y'all get some sleep first ...