lynx-dev LYNX: what to do when lynx hangs?

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: what to do when lynx hangs?
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:43:39 -0800 (PST)

I have just spent 30 minutes filling out purchase stuff
for Amazon.com, then said checkout, then it gives me
a page with four links; I chose "standard server" (for giving
my credit card number, etc).

Well, it's hung.

There is NO WAY to wake the thing up.  It is still
at that 4-link page, trying, I assume, to get to
"secure server" page.

^Z gets me to the shell prompt ok, but an fg just gets
me back at the same situation.

"z" does nothing, of course -- is hung.

I ran a SECOND lynx, got to amazon ok, but it was somewhat
slow.  I know from experience that "q" is NOT something to
do -- takes FOREVER to actually quit.

So, I tried some control-c's.  Says exit on signal 2 or something,
and just takes forever.  What is happening.  Finally, ^z, jobs,
and kill -9 on that 2nd lynx.  THAT worked!

Fg back into the first one, still hung on that same page.

IS THERE ANY WAY AT ALL TO "KICK" lynx or the connection
or whatever, so I can "recover" a bit, at least enough
to "h" back to the prior page, and at least mouse cut/paste
what I've put into the "shopping cart" and paste it into my
emacs back home -- so I can do it again late at night or something.

In the product I wrote, we COUNT the control-c's (we catch it), you can
always ask "what do you want to do; here is the situation right now"
or something.

I have no idea what netscrape or exploiter do (probably crash, time out);
but sure would be nice if LYNX could do SOMETHING in this "hung" case.

Thanks!

David, much frustrated right about now.