Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Link numbering and keypad mode
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:18:45 -0500 (EST)

> Date:         Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:26:16 -0500
> From: Jacob Poon <address@hidden>
> > Would it help to call them anchor numbers instead of link numbers?  That is
> > the
> > way they are implemented.
> >
> > Also, numbering form fields is extremely useful for blind and visually
> > impaired users, as it obviates the need to havigate a screen
> > with arrow keys while using speech, braille or screen enlargement.
>
> I think it will be bettter to add an option to number form fields and
> links independently.  For example, when using goto command, '123l' chooses
> link 123, and '123f' goes to form field 123.

I disagree for the following reason:
It is not always possible to distinguish form
input buttons from regular links unless you are sitting on
that "link" and can see the status line.  If form fields
are numbered independently, then there would have to be
a way to identify form fields as such -- maybe by using
different delimiters for the number ({123} or [123F] for form fields
and [123] for "links".)  This only complicates the screen.

Another side light: The term "current link" is used carelessly in the
Lynx User's Guide to refer to the current anchor, be it form field or
link.  Question: Is this just an artifact of lynx's implementation
or do other browsers (or the HTML spec) use the same terminology?

Finally, the L-page with link and form field numbering turned on
currently lists form field "links" in the order they
appear on the original doc.  This is useful for capturing
the order of anchors in the original doc -- where the form
fields are in relation to the links.  Numbering form fields
separately would cause this info to be lost.

I'm typing this in a hurry.  Please excuse any mistakes.
--le