Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: the L-page: example of usefulness
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 01:31:19 -0500

On Tue, Feb 16, 1999 at 01:04:35PM -0500, Greg Marr wrote:

> >The third is from the REL attribute of a <LINK> tag in the head of the
> >HTML.  This takes precedence over the URL from the HREF of any <A> tags,
> >but the actual title, if known, takes precedence over this, so the actual
> >priorities, in order from highest to lowest, are as follows:
> >
> >  1. The title of the document if it's been visited.
> >
> >  2. The REL attribute of the first <LINK> tag encountered which refers
> >     to the document.
> >
> >  3. The HREF attribute of any <A> tag which refers to the document.
>
> I think it would be much more logical to replace 2 with "The TITLE attribute
> of
> the first <A> tag encountered which refers to the document."

Well, I did a little more testing, and it appears that it's more complex
than I realized.  For one thing, the TITLE attribute will be used if
present, and in my list of priorities above, it fits in between 2 and 3.
However, the REL and TITLE attributes are both valid in both the <LINK>
and <A> tags, and it appears that <LINK> attributes have priority over
<A> attributes, so as near as I can tell, the priorities are as follows:

  1. The title of the document, if it's been visited.

  2. The TITLE attribute of the first <LINK> that refers to the document,
     if present.

  3. The REL attribute of the first <LINK> that refers to the document,
     if present.

  4. The first TITLE attribute encountered in any <A> tag that refers
     to the document, if present.

  5. The first REL attribute encountered in any <A> tag that refers to
     the document, if present.

  6. The HREF attribute of the <A> tag if none of the above is available.

Furthermore, each <LINK> tag in the head of the document will create an
entry in the toolbar with either the TITLE attribute, if present, or the
REL attribute, in that order of precedence.  I haven't looked at the
source code, but if the entry in the toolbar and the entry in the L page
are somehow related, it may be difficult to make the toolbar use the REL
attribute if no TITLE is present, while at the same time making the L
page use only the TITLE attribute or URL and ignore the REL attribute.
If this can be easily done, however, I would vote that we do it.

Chuck