Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Ukrainian charsets...
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:21:13 -0500 (EST)

990217 Leonid Pauzner wrote:
> As I said before, there is no ISO-9945-2 charset registered with IANA.
> Now I went a little farther and realize that it also unknown
> for any other authority like ftp.unicode.org -
> there is no such thing as ISO 9945-2 charset in the World,
> there is an "ISO 9945-2 charmap format" for representing a charset mapping
> (we have similar format in chrtrans/*.tbl tables)
> So the table received from a Ukrainian fellow was a
> "Description of full KOI8-U codepage in ISO 9945-2 charmap format"
> as it is on http://www.net.ua/KOI8-U/
> Apparently, the table is broken also
> (obsolete, was not updated when koi8-u RFC2319 was adopted)
> for [ir]responsibility of Ukrainian community.
> We should obviously remove "iso-9945-2" codepage from Linx.
-- snip --

you are our authority on charsets, i believe,
but can we be careful -- as an international endeavour --
not to leave Ukrainians under any impression
that their language & alphabet are 2nd-class citizens here.

the Cyrillic alphabet goes back to the E Roman Empire, which spoke Greek,
a/a the W Empire, which spoke Latin, which led to French, Spanish etc.
presumably Russian & Ukrainian started out with the same alphabet,
but when & how they may have diverged i don't know (possibly LP does):
Lenin added a couple of letters to the Russian alphabet,
which may not have been used by Ukrainians,
but while Ukraine was part of the USSR it may have been somewhat russified,
something they may recently have tried to reverse.

so how exactly do the Russian & Ukrainian alphabets differ?
and what exactly does Lynx need to be able to serve Ukrainian properly?