Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 01:22:46 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:

> I tried upgrading to slang 1.2.2 but get the same results.

I looked at *old* slang sources (0.99.34) and think I found
the reason for what's going on.  Since you just upgraded, I hope
you still have the sources around.  Look at the source for
SLang_getkey(); in 0.99.34 that's in slgetkey.c.  Before that
function there is

  /* This has the effect of mapping all characters in the range 128-169 to
   * ESC [ something
   */
  #ifndef __GO32__
  #if defined(unix) || defined(vms)
  #define DEC_8BIT_HACK 64
  #endif
  #endif

The comment is wrong, it should say 128-159.  Assuming that's the same
in later versions: if you undefine DEC_8BIT_HACK in the slang source
and recompile, you should get a version that lets those chars through
directly.

Alternatively, without recompiling slang, try the following workaround:
in .lynx-keymaps, add

  setkey "\[G"  0x87
  setkey "\[K"  0x8B

(but this requires a lynx with USE_KEYMAPS *not* undefined).

If this works, we could add the equivalent code directly to lynx,
but it should then be conditional on the Display character set
(and maybe something else).  This would presumably also translate
"real" ESC + G to char 0x87 for example, which is not so good;
but maybe acceptable if the display character set is not an
ISO 8859 one.

 Klaus