lynx-dev Re: dev17 problem (still)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: dev17 problem (still)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:06:27 -0800

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| > it couldn't find library for  inet_addr  function (warning),
|
| let's start with this one (inet_addr), since afaik there were no more
| problems with that.

Tom ... I continue to get that inet_addr warning on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE,
but it seems harmless, and lynx builds properly (or so it seems).

How would I check to see if that warning is "meaningful" (ie, what the
heck *is*  inet_addr  and what is it used for)?

FWIW, problems relating to the  inet_addr  thingy started about three
or four versions ago.  There was a distribution that would not build at
all without applying a patch that someone (don't recall who) posted
shortly after the distribution announcement was made.  With their patch,
that distribution built fine.

I recall that you noted the problem (in response to their patch posting),
and indeed the next distribution *did* build without any patching, *but*
the above mentioned warning began getting issued then (and has been
continuing on all distributions since).

All of which probably has nothing to do with PW's problem, but may be
indicative of a different (and continuing) build quirk/problem that
should be looked at, and/or fixed.

/kim