Re: lynx-dev Re: dev17 problem (still)

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: dev17 problem (still)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 22:56:55 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, Feb 18, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | > it couldn't find library for  inet_addr  function (warning),
> |
> | let's start with this one (inet_addr), since afaik there were no more
> | problems with that.
>
> Tom ... I continue to get that inet_addr warning on FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE,
> but it seems harmless, and lynx builds properly (or so it seems).
well, the old behavior is probably right for most people (no library
added for -lresolv or -lbind, no alternative definition for the
replacement function).  A copy of the config.log might show me what's
going wrong with the script (actually config.cache and config.status, too).

> How would I check to see if that warning is "meaningful" (ie, what the
> heck *is*  inet_addr  and what is it used for)?
It's a function that came unstuck with Klaus' recent change - I made a
test to pick up that or a couple of alternatives.  But it works on the
machines I've tested.

> FWIW, problems relating to the  inet_addr  thingy started about three
> or four versions ago.  There was a distribution that would not build at
> all without applying a patch that someone (don't recall who) posted
> shortly after the distribution announcement was made.  With their patch,
> that distribution built fine.
>
> I recall that you noted the problem (in response to their patch posting),
> and indeed the next distribution *did* build without any patching, *but*
> the above mentioned warning began getting issued then (and has been
> continuing on all distributions since).
>

> All of which probably has nothing to do with PW's problem, but may be
> indicative of a different (and continuing) build quirk/problem that
> should be looked at, and/or fixed.

maybe - but iirc, PW was not able to build on IRIX at the same time that
I _was_.  When I have time, I'll check it again, but until next week, I'm
very busy.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden