Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem (still)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem (still)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:29:45 +0300 (MSK)

18-Feb-99 15:13 Philip Webb wrote:
> 990217 i reported:
>> on this IRIX 5.3 system i configured & made 2-8-2dev.17 apparently ok,
>> but upon executing it got garbage instead of the start page;
>> also, ordinary keys aren't recognised -- eg  v  -- , tho' the F-keys are:
>> eg F1 gets a few lines loosely resembling parts of the Main Help Page;
>>  ^g  won't exit, but  ^c  will ( Q  doesn't work, of course).
>> 2-8-1rel.1 continues to run ok in another Screen window.
>> i customised  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  to pick up my usual preferences.

> i started over, downloading the package afresh into an empty subdirectory.
> carefully editing  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  took  60 min ,
> using diff files from my 2-8-1rel.1 version; configure & make took  20 min .

Well, what is the reason for such time-consuming operation for you?

You are building a private copy of lynx (no security consideration),
so you may leave userdefs.h as is and change most options from lynx.cfg
run-time.  Since you update lynx frequently for nearly every dev. version
you get a special benefits from this: you may INCLUDE
your old lynx.cfg file from clean distribution's one
and live with it since lynx.cfg is backward compatible.
To trace the result try '=' InfoPage link[2] (this page also useful
if you decide to merge changes to new lynx.cfg one day).

17-Feb-99 16:26 Philip Webb wrote:
> 990217 i started customising  userdefs.h  for 2-8-2dev.17
> & the first diff i came across was:

281r1>> !  * The EXTENSION_MAP file allows you to map file suffixes to