Re: lynx-dev Re: LYNX-DEV: new version hangs often

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: LYNX-DEV: new version hangs often
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:07:53 -0800

On Sat, Feb 20, 1999 at 11:22:54AM -0800, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 1999, David Combs (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | I don't know what the problem is; load factor is only
> | .5 or so on sun running sunos 4.x
>
> I've failed to understand just what this is supposed to be
> telling me:

Just that here's exact output of it not working, ie that
^c ^g etc (repeated much) have no effect sometimes.

> | I had been at LOTS of sites (ie cache surely filled by now),
> | and then did a "v" to see my bookmarks again without popping
> | down several slots down the stack to see it that way:
> |
> | and got this:
> |
> | with Lynx 2.8.2dev.14 (18 Jan 1999)
> |

> | ^C^C^C^G^G^G
> |
> | Exiting via interrupt: 2
> |

> | ^c, ^G; none worked.
> |
> | ^z worked, enabling me o kill the job:
> |
> | Then I had to kill the job:
> |
> | with Lynx 2.8.2dev.14 (18 Jan 1999)
> |

> | ^C^C^C^G^G^G
> |
> | Exiting via interrupt: 2
> |
> | Any Ideas
> |
> | ???
>
> however, I gather that you are having problems using ^C and/or ^Z
> in the normal UNIX manner.
>

> Since you're using Netcom, is the copy of lynx that you're running
> the NUGLOPS (user supported) version?
Nope, am using wcheung's lynxtest usually one-day-old version directly.

> If so, and if that is actually in wchung's dirs (I think that is the
> correct account spelling), then take a *look* at the "binary" for
> lynx with "less" or "more".
>
> Do you see a 10-15 line shell script at the top?  If not, ignore the
> following:

Nope, pure binary.

---

By the way, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS LYNX DOING after
I type "q", and say yes I really mean it.

I mean, whatever it is, IT TAKES FOREVER!

I would imagine that this is related to the above
^c ineffectiveness.

I've gotten into the habit of either just logging off
the shell account ignoring the "some processes are still running"
message, or if I really want to KILL it, doing it via
kill -9.

That "q" is just IMPOSSIBLE, it is so slow, or maybe it hangs,
or who knows what.  That's with that dev.14 version, and likely
earlier too, as I recall -- but at ONE time, "q" worked just
fine, FAST.  No longer!

David