Re: lynx-dev SSL sources (was www.slcc.edu)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev SSL sources (was www.slcc.edu)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:18:39 -0500 (EST)

990222 fellow-Torontonian Jacob Poon wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Philip Webb wrote:
>> to repeat, Canada has regulations in this area, but not statutes,
>> so that the issue of enforcement is much less clear than in the USA.
>> obviously, act with caution & consult a lawyer if really concerned,
>> but don't be under a misapprehension that Canadian laws mirror US laws.
> I don't know about other laws, but when it comes to cryptography exports,
> Canadian laws are certainly not mirroring US laws.
> The only thing that follows US restriction is
> when the cryptography software contains US-origin goods,
> such software will fall into US export controls.
> Read here:  http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm

thanx! that's a very comprehensive Worldwide survey
& is fully upto-date for Canada, MIRABILE DICTV!

there are  2  fundamental differences here a/a the USA,
which US residents often fail to appreciate.

Canada's restrictions are largely a matter of good sense
& being a good neighbour: we don't want to be a platform
for US residents who simply want to evade their own country's laws,
so there's a regulation -- NOT a law -- which says
you can't re-export anything originating in the USA
if that would be in conflict with US export laws.
how far the regulation would stand up in Canadian courts
if challenged under the Charter of Rights is open to question:
Canadian courts have defended individual free speech strongly.

the other difference up here is that Canada sees itself
as neutral in a lot of disputes the USA is deeply involved in,
the best example being US hostility to the Cuban government;
nor do we have the kind of defense establishment the USA has:
we've been seriously downsizing our armed forces,
which we tend to see as a contribution to international peace-keeping,
while the USA is still intent on major expansion of `defense' capabilities;
nor do we have the same degree of problems with illegal drugs.

the result of all this is that restrictions on encryption have
a much lower priority in Canada for law-making & law-enforcement,
about which we tend to be more relaxed than US authorities generally.

so if you're in Canada, try to obey Canadian laws
& consult a lawyer if in doubt, but don't be guided by US practices.