lynx-dev Re: dev3/4 problem (progress!)

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: dev3/4 problem (progress!)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:17:44 -0800

Looks like you're making progress isolating the problem.

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999, Philip Webb (address@hidden) said:

| to which configure replies on the screen `:yes';
| & in dev.3 ,  lynx_cfg.h  contains
|
|  #define EBCDIC 1  /* CF_EBCDIC */
|
| i tried commenting out this line, but linking failed with a message:

I've (thankfully) forgotten most IRIX weirdness that I used to have to
work around, so these may or may not work, depending on how the SGI
utilities/compiler are doing their thing these days.

Simplest to try:

 make -UEBCDIC

when that (probably) fails, try:

 setenv CFLAGS -UEBCDIC  (for tcsh/csh/etc), or
 export CFLAGS=-UEBCDIC  (for sh/ksh/etc)

 make

if that fails, you may want to try setting CFLAGS to -UEBCDIC in the
top-level and/or src makefile(s), though that will probably also fail
as well, if setting CFLAGS in the environment failed.

In which case, you will need to add something like:

 #ifdef EBCDIC
 #undef EBCDIC
 #endif

at the top of various *.[ch] files in which there is an #ifdef or
#if defined() for EBCDIC (grep is your friend, here).

Which ought to work.

| so why is configure assuming i have EBCDIC on this IRIX 5.3 ?!

Heh.  It's a conspiracy by the Blue Crew at Armonk ... :-) ...!

Seriously, IRIX is/was a Royal PITA to get many "freely available"
packages to work properly with.

Send the good folks at SGI a big kiss for it ...

Good luck ...!

/kim

PS: I'm sure Tom can come up with a configure rule of some kind to
    avoid the problem define ... the above are just temp-fixes, so
    you can keep going with the isolation process.