Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:27:08 -0500 (EST)

From: Henry Nelson <address@hidden>

> Lynx is getting way too big.  Lynx is no longer a valid option on a
> limited resource machine.  The real problem is that the code only grows.
> In the last two years, I don't recall the binary being smaller than the
> previously installed one.  It only gets bigger.

Are you implying that we should be removing features as new features are
added?  What features would you choose to remove?

The price of progress is growth.  But perhaps what is needed is a
separated limited resource version of lynx that diverages somewhere along
the release history at a version of lynx that is small enough, with work on
applying only bug fixes that apply to that version, in a separate
revision tree.

That way those who need to access the majority of the web will have the
larger version of lynx, and those who have a small intranet application
they need to support can use the smaller lynx - one without cookies,
multiple language support, etc.
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>