Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem: heureka (almost)!

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem: heureka (almost)!
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:53:31 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Philip Webb said:

> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:01:01 -0500 (EST)
>
> i have your last message on that & the previous one is in the Archive,
> but your proposal seems bizarre: why would one add garbage in a function,
> rather than instruct configure to do a more appropriate test?

Configure operates (in part) by compiling and/or executing various
programlets.  The tests consist largely of observing whether the
compilations succeed or fail.  The particular program here is
designed to "succeed" on an EBCDIC platform and "fail" on an ASCII
platform.  The problem arises because it fails to fail on IRIX.
We need simply to make it "bizarre" enough that it's unpalatable
even to IRIX, but still acceptable to OS/390.

-- gil