Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:31:49 +0900 (JST)

> > ALL recent "features" should be off by default.  Definitely, all
>
> I guess (since 2.8.1 or since 2.8?)
>
> > so-called "features" should have compiletime options.  When something
> > can't be turned off, it requires delving into the code.
> >
> > Lynx is getting way too big.  Lynx is no longer a valid option on a
> > limited resource machine.  The real problem is that the code only grows.

For someone who only uses and doesn't write code, maybe it's too easy
to say.  On my SunOS 4.1.3-JL sun4c with 12MB of memory, and FreeBSD 2.2.7
on an i486 NEC PC98 with 14MB of memory, I gave up on 2.8, and went back
to the last 2.7.2 burn by Fote (even that's a bit bloated).  On the Solaris
2.6 machines, one with 88MB of memory and the other with 256MB, Lynx could
be a lot bigger, no problem; I use and enjoy 2.8.2dev.

Besides memory problems (which we're seeing exhaustion of if I'm reading
Dave's messages correctly -- taking _minutes_ to free memory on normal
exit); I like to be able to put Lynx on a floppy for movement among
FreeBSD machines which don't have a LAN card permanently installed.  That
means < 1.2MB (Japanese NEC HDD).  I can still do that, but just barely:
not even my 4KB lynx.cfg will fit on together with the binary.

To answer your question: since 2.8.

It's just not much fun going through code trying to find ways to
economize.  It takes guts to say "this is junk; let's back it out".

__Henry