Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 01:17:20 -0800

Henry Nelson wrote:

> > Some of that growth is due to more data, not more code - especially
> > more tables for charsets and entities.  Some is due to lots of small
>
> There is no easy way to chose only which tables you might want.  To the
> complete novice like myself, even with Leonid's rather good instructions,
> it is a mystery as to what tables are needed, and which ones would never
> likely be used.  Seems to me, I only need one since I use only English
> and CJK.

Sure there's an easy way to choose which charset tables you want: remove
them all from the binary.  Provide them as files that Lynx reads in at
runtime -- when and only when it encounters the need for that particular
charset.

(I'm not claiming this would be easy to *implement*, though I suspect it
wouldn't be terribly hard.  I'm claiming it would be easy -- trivial --
for the user to instruct Lynx which charsets to have available.  He just
browses, and Lynx sucks in the ones he encounters.)