Re: lynx-dev EBCDIC again

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev EBCDIC again
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:48:02 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, address@hidden said:

> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 20:07:27 -0500 (EST)
>

> > > 990224 Philip Webb said:
> > but why does inserting the marked line make a difference:
> > was it simply a programming error to omit such a line previously?
> > or was the previous  #error  line supposed to do the job,
> > but IRIX 5.3 for some reason didn't recognise it?
>
> the "#error" line isn't recognized by some compilers.  (I've already changed
> that in my pending patch).

I considered that possibility and assumed that such a compiler,
encountering a nonrecognized construct, would treat it as an error,
which is quite what we want.  Silly me.

And the mystery remains why PW had difficulties and TD had none.
Could it be a different compiler?  Would it be as simple as that
TD might have used gcc, and PW IRIX's own compiler?

-- gil