Re: lynx-dev BUG: lynx can't view NY times articles

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev BUG: lynx can't view NY times articles
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 05:05:04 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Steven G. Johnson wrote:

> When I try to view a NY times article (e.g.
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/02/biztech/articles/24soft.html), a
> bunch of messages flash quickly by at the bottom of the screen (faster than
> I can read) and I end up not going anywhere.  No error message is
> displayed.  (Note that the NY times is a registration-required site.  It
> uses cookies to keep track of my username and password.)  It used to work
> in the past, so I don't know what has happened.  When I run the command:
>
> lynx -error_file=foo
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/02/biztech/articles/24soft.html
>
> the result is:
>
> lynx: Start file could not be found or is not text/html or text/plain
>       Exiting...

Yeah it's a bug alright, but in the server / service and not in Lynx.

Trace shows the URL is redirecting to itself:

HTAccess:
'http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/02/biztech/articles/24soft.html' is a
redirection URL.
HTAccess: Redirecting to
'http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/99/02/biztech/articles/24soft.html'

So if lynx followed that redirection we'd have a nice infinite loop.
This can't work with *any* browser - unless of course the are sending
this broken response only to Lynx and not to others.

You can examine the redirection message itself, instead of having Lynx
automatically follow it, by specifying -noredir.

Complain to webmaster - hope you won't get a "mail loops back to myself"
bounce...

   Klaus