Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 clue?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:58:28 +0000 (GMT)

> Arrgggh!  it seems even the Lynx developers have the evil "make it slow and
> bloated and do no more to Joe Blow User than it did 10 years ago" disease.

I think you mean less.  Word 5 for DOS runs faster on a 640K 8086 and is
much more stable than Word 97 on a Pentium 90 with 64MB.  It still does
much more than the average word processor user ever learns or uses.

> snappy on the SE..  Yes, higher bit depths and foofy graphics are all part of
> it, but I'm meaning to include those "fluffy" additions..)

Unfortunately, there is very little really innovative in software these
days; most software development goes into a sort of arms race to out
gimmick the competition.  As a minor player, Lynx is forced to
track some of the gimmickry.  Heavy gimmickry, of couse, helps the
big players, because it tends to price the small ones out of the market
because of excessive development costs.

The real developments are in hardware speeds and capacity.