lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and configurati

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and configuration
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 06:53:48 -0500 (EST)

Is there a strategy for determining what parameters are put into $HOME/.lynxrc
versus only being in a lynx.cfg file?  On a single user system, the
difference isn't all that big a deal - the user can quit lynx, edit the
file, and start back up again.  On _some_ multi-user systems, the user
can copy the site lynx.cfg file, edit it, and then start up with a command
line argument.  On _closed_ multi-user systems, that's not an option.

At least one criteria in my mind would be "is this a config option that a
user might need/want to change during a specific lynx executable session" -
since the user has no way of changing this value during a session unless
the value is changable via the O option - and if it goes on that page, it
probably should be storable (on user request) into $HOME/.lynxrc .

Another criteria would be "is this a value that individual users might
have a reason to change".  That takes care of values that might not change
a lot, but still need to be stored per user.  Things like email addresses,
bookmark file names, etc. fall into this category.

The specific parameter in particular I am struggling over is the
accept all cookies parm.  It _seems_ to me this would be a parm of the
second variety.  Some users want _no_ cookies ever.  Some users want some.
Some users want all cookies accepted, regardless of the issue.  However,
when I used the latest lynx to create a fresh lynxrc file, I don't see this
parm in the lynxrc file.  I thought at one point it was supported there -
but since I don't see it there I don't know if that's an oversight or a
concious decision.

Is this a matter of waiting for some code to be submitted for this, or is
it something that's being avoided?
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>