Re: lynx-dev issue with accept _all_ cookies

From: brian j pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev issue with accept _all_ cookies
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:51:10 -0800

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> It appears that the following comment is not strictly true:
>
> # If ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES is set TRUE, Lynx will accept cookies from all
> # domains with no user interaction.
> # The default is defined in userdefs.h and can be overridden here,
> # and/or toggled via the -accept_all_cookies command line switch.
> #
> #ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES:FALSE
> ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES:TRUE
>
> When I say:
>
> lynx http://www.remarq.com/
>
> I get this prompt:
> Accept invalid cookie path=/default/main.pl as a prefix of '/default'? (y/n)
>
> Now, granted, it _is_ an invalid cookie.  However, that still is not
> what the comment implies regarding ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES .  I was counting
> on _never_ in any case seeing any prompts relating to cookies.
>
> Besides the fact that remarq.com needs to fix their site, is there a need
> for yet another cookie config that says 'accept invalidly formatted
> cookies'?

Perhaps that line should be changed to say "accept all valid cookies".

This is something that was just changed in dev17 -- previously
accept_all_cookies had been overloaded to also mean a) accept cookies
with broken path header, b) accept cookies with invalid domain
attribute.

edit.my.yahoo.com sends b), apparently remarq sends a).

Take a look at these options in .lynxrc, new to dev17:

cookie_loose_invalid_domains=
cookie_strict_invalid_domains=
cookie_query_invalid_domains=

A domain set to 'loose' will be allowed to set cookies with invalid
path or domain headers, query will give the prompt you saw, strict
will reject it automatically.

This isn't documented anywhere other than lynx.cfg or .lynxrc yet.

--
"Oh, I see!  I just lean on ^K until it beeps.  Yup, that's slick." -Fluffy