Re: lynx-dev --disable-gopher flag (was: bloating binaries)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev --disable-gopher flag (was: bloating binaries)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:02:45 -0500

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 10:51:33PM -0600, Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 06:19:27PM -0800, address@hidden wrote:
> > > When lynx is compiled without gopher code, does attempting to go to a
> > > gopher
> > > link provide some kind of useful message [ ... ]
> > No, my patch just "zeroes" the HTGopher.o module. Someone who has a
> > valid gopher URL could probably test what it does.
> (or even an invalid one...)

I did try "gopher://localhost"; and lynx reported it was unable to connect
and didn't coredump or anything...

> > Since I have seen no
> > gopher URLs in years (and never one of much use), I have little interest
> > in documenting how to do this other than: it's in the configure file as
> > --enable-gopher and --disable-gopher. Seems pretty self-explanatory. It
> > also shows up in the configure options screen as NO_GOPHER=1.
> + [  --disable-gopher  disable GOPHER logic],
> That's not entirely true, some gopher: URLs are treated specially and
> "redirected" early or otherwise handled in some way (search
> LYGetFile.c for GOPHER_URL_TYPE).  That logic is not disabled.

True; I submitted this as a "skeleton" patch with the intention that
gopher logic will be removed when someone with more skill and time
than I finds the places where redirects happen and fixes them.

> So some gopher: URLs may still get through - afaics that only applies
> to some form of HTML_GOPHER_URL_TYPE (the gopher: URL is effectively
> changed to a http: URL).   Also if gopher_proxy is pointed to a proxy
> that can handle gopher: URLs, those URLs will still get through.
>
> I'm not saying that anything has to change, just to keep this in mind.
> + [  --disable-gopher  disable GOPHER protocol access],
> would be a slightly more accurate, I think.

Sounds good.
------
<http://www.altavista.com/cgi-bin/query?q=%22web+home+for+jim+spath%22>
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
Pausing to reconstruct the whole infrastructure of integral
mathematics in his head, he went about his humble task, never
thinking to ask for reward, recognition or even a moments ease
from the pain in all the diodes down his left side...