Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and configu

From: Mike Castle
Subject: Re: lynx-dev multiuser versus single user system use of lynx and configuration
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 14:16:03 -0600 (CST)

Amazingly enough Larry W. Virden said:
> Is there a strategy for determining what parameters are put into $HOME/.lynxrc
> versus only being in a lynx.cfg file?  On a single user system, the
> [deleted]
> Is this a matter of waiting for some code to be submitted for this, or is
> it something that's being avoided?

Well, I want to work on a new configuration mechanism for lynx.  A table
driven setup that would tie together the global configuration file with
local .lynxrc and command line options (ie, cookies=no on command line or
any configuration file would have the same effect).  With ability to save
in ~/.lynxrc only things that are different from global configuration file
(to help keep it small), with gettext()'d comments that go into the file
and possibly be used as a way of building a link off the options page on
the fly that describes, in native language, what each option is for (or
perhaps even a link per item).  Also, perhaps the ability to reread
configuration file on the fly (ie, 2 copies of lynx open, change option in
one and save to disk and have those new configurations picked up in the
other session).

I originally hoped to start on such a project at the beginning of March,
but my current project at work, which is eating up most of my time, is
running behind.  So I won't be able to get started as soon as I like.

Plus, it seems that a new release is starting to settle down.  So perhaps
holding off on this isn't such a bad thing.  (Some of the things I would
like to do would be some fairly major changes to the code).

mrc
--
       Mike Castle       Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly
  address@hidden  and be right all the time, or not work at all