lynx-dev free translations (was: gettext support)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: lynx-dev free translations (was: gettext support)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 21:18:18 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > > [Jim Spath: ...]                             The "Free Translation
> > > Project" has yet to issue a Lynx translation.
>
> I have revoked my disclaimer because it was too restrictive in my case.
> I sincerely hope this does not influence other people's decision making.

You have influenced mine - to the degree that I am somewhat more skeptical
now, but haven't made up my mind yet (or done the necessary background
reading).  The fact that you felt the discaimer unduly restricted you
is, at least, a data point to consider.

It seems to me the easiest way out, for the provider of a translation,
is to put it in the public domain (only if he/she is willing to not
retain any rights, of course).  Then it is up to the Free Translation
Project whether someone there picks it up, they can change it and put
further work on it (their copy) under any requirements they like.

Can somebody give me a good reason why *not* to put the *translated
strings* in de.po into the public domain?

I am not concerned that anyone might take those translated message
strings, claim them their own, and make money with them (I wish them
good luck :) ).  But could putting that file in the public domain
lead in any way to a situation where {I, lynx} could not {use, continue
to work on} the translations?

Note I'm talking only about a specific file (and a specific version
thereof, actually), not contributions in general.

    Klaus