lynx-dev Re: syntax change

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: syntax change
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 16:50:53 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999, Laura Eaves (address@hidden) said:

| > Errr ... perhaps I am misunderstanding what you mean, but whilst I was
| > implementing all the TEXTAREA editing stuff, I certainly came across a
| > few anchors that were marked "hidden", but also had text "in" them (if
| > by "in" you mean "had a matching HTLine that was other than null").
|
| By "hidden links" I mean anchors with HREFs but no highlightable text.
| I'm not talking about form fields of type "hidden".
| Offhand I don't remember how to check for hidden-ness.
| It's been a while since I looked at this code.

That would be the a->show_anchor == 0 type of "hidden" link then, I think
(which also ends up with a->number == 0, IIRC).

| Reversing the meaning of 123 and 123g would be too confusing now that
| people are used to using 123g.

Not at all, since any one individual will only use one method, once they've
tried them both, and settled on the one they prefer.  That this continues
to be "under discussion" argues against "people being used to" the current
format.

| I think I'd rather eat dinner now than hash through them all again...:)

Hash for dinner ...?

| > BTW, I'm not suggesting a ./configure option, but rather a realtime, user
| > configurable o(ption) screen option.
|
| What do you think the interface should be?  What option(s) on the options
| menu &&/|| lynx.cfg &&/|| .lynxrc &&/|| command line? and what should it/
| they specify?

Nothing overly involved.  Just one option in the o(ption) screen/menu,
under "user preferences", titled (say) "Numeric link selection format".

Two alternatives named (say):

 "Backwardly compatible entry"  and
 "Natural order entry"

or some such.