lynx-dev save few KB of memory [long -> u16]

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: lynx-dev save few KB of memory [long -> u16]
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 19:27:32 +0300 (MSK)

Reading on bloating binaries thread I thought that Lynx usually keep
unicodes as "long" which is of 4bytes long
while chartrans tables uses u16.
Quote from src/chrtrans/uckd.h:

/*
 *  NOTE: THE FOLLOWING #define MAY NEED ADJUSTMENT.
 *  u16 should be an unsigned type of 16 bit length (two octets).
 *  u8  should be an unsigned type of 8  bit length (one octet).
 */
#ifndef u16
#define u16 unsigned short
#endif /* u16 */

#ifndef u8
#define u8 unsigned char
#endif /* u8 */

We can save several Kb of data memory from entities.h and caselower.h tables
if change its "long" to "u16" (tweaks in SGML.h, caselower.h and LYStrings.c).
Is there any performance lost here?