Re: lynx-dev problems with drawing in lynx-2.8.2dev.12

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev problems with drawing in lynx-2.8.2dev.12
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:57:10 -0500 (EST)

>  I've compiled lynx with color style support.
>  I have a problem with it: after it completely draws the screen (it's visible
>  for short period of time, like 0.2 sec) , the screen
>  goes black (ie all characters that were drawn in normal colors became
>  invisible = black) with only currently selected link visible (in the proper
>  color), status text at the bottom and status text at the  right upper
> corner.
>  I've specified black background for all attributes in my lss file. It looks
>  like it issues some ioctl to the terminal after drawing, and then draws the
>  active link in the corresponding color.
>    I'm using i386-RedHat5.2 (linux kernel 2.0.36) I've also compiled the lynx
>
>  on the i386-RedHat5.0 - the same thing happens. Since ncurses is the same as
>
>  curses under linux, and lss support is disabled for slang, it may be
> something
>  with ncurses (but unlikely). I tried to compile lynx with ncurses-1.9.9e and
>
>  ncurses-4.2 -no difference. This behavior is observed under with x-term,rxvt

that would be odd (colors with 1.9.9e are pretty ugly, even for color-style).

>  and native linux-console.

well, what is your $TERM set to (and the corresponding infocmp output)?
They should all have "bce" (unless you're using nxterm, for instance).
If the bce setting doesn't match, you'll get odd behavior (including this).

>    I had to switch to lynx-2.8 (I use lynx-2.8, March 10, 1998 ) due to it.
>
>  I tried to compile with and without partial display logic - no difference.
>  This problem happens only for html files, that are longer than a screen.
>  This problem happens only to htmls that are non-cached (ie were not
> visited).
>  When the problem happens any action that forces lynx to redraw the screen
>  draws screen as it should be except for ^R (ie ^L redraws the screen as it
>  should be, PAGEUP|PAGEDOWN also redraws it). Pressing DOWNARROW or UPARROW
>  will cause the corresponding link to be drawn only - nothing is drawn except
>  it (previously selected will be displayed in the color, in which passive
> link
>  should be). Escaping back (via pressing LEFT) and then forth (RIGHT) will
> also
>  force the lynx to draw the page properly.

I may be able to see exactly what you're seeing with the typescript output of
'script' (please gzip/uuencode the typescript if you email it).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden