Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.18

From: pg
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.18
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:33:45 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, address@hidden said:

> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:48:29 -0500 (EST)
>
> > I haven't compiled dev.18 on OS/390 yet.  I know that on OS/390,
> > enums are a serious portability obstacle: while OS/390 is perfectly
> > ANSI compliant as I read the standard, it defies general expectations
> > regarding the representation of enums in storage.  If a procedure
> > has a formal parameter of type (enum *), you may not be able to pass
> > it an (int *), for example.
>
> I was more concerned about making an array initialized with enums (but we've
> been doing that under WWW).  Expect some minor compiler problems (i.e., fixes
> that will be a few lines of code).

It just broke on OS/390:

    ERROR CBC3275 ../../lynx2-8-2/src/LYKeymap.h:145
        Unexpected text ',' encountered.
    FSUM3065 The COMPILE step ended with return code 12.
    FSUM3017 Could not compile ../../lynx2-8-2/src/LYMap.c.
        Correct the errors and try again.
    gmake[1]: *** [LYMap.o] Error 3

Bummer.  It's a comma between the enumerator-list and the "}".
ANSI seems not to allow this.  Sure makes ending an enumerator-list
inside an ifdef a pain.  Since the list unconditionally begins with
LYK_UNKNOWN, the problem could be solved by writing all subsequent
entries with the comma in front of the enumerator.  Ugly.  But should
I try a patch?

-- gil